Saturday, November 06, 2004

a ramble about some of this and that

This morning was rough. Awakened at 6:51 on a Saturday after staying up much too late reading. Still a couple cups of coffee and a few handfuls of tropical trailmix and the world seems a better place. Even better the weather channel is predicting an unseasonable 77 degrees. WooT! THAT is one of the delights of Colorado. You'll have snow on Monday and by saturday you are back in shorts.
I'm listening to Nora Jones and sort of recollecting some of the things I read last night. Still reading "A Confederacy of Dunces" by John Kennedy Toole. I'm making a real push though because I have a couple library books I checked out last week that I want to get on. Even more so because the book I put on reserve came in. The library here seems to be the most progressive part of the town. I actually get e-mail notifications! Shock and suprise. I'm getting "Stiff: the Curious Lives of Human Cadavers" by Mary Roach. I've been wanting to read that book since it came out and just haven't. I'll let you know if it's a real live one or not. heh

Alright, so Ignatius in "CoD" wrote a letter to this girl who is rather offensive and brash, but most likely the only human on the planet that would consider having sex with his mass of pink, jiggly flesh. She was saying that she was going to start doing lectures at the Y on one of her crackpot save the world ideas. His response:
"On the dark night of that dubious lecture, the sole member of your audience will probably be some desperately lonely male librarian who saw the light in the window of the lecture hall and hopefully came in to escape the cold and the horrors of his personal hell. There in the hall, his stooped figure sitting alone before the podium, your nasal voice echoing among the empty chairs and hammering boredom, confusion, and sexual reference deeper and deeper into the poor wretch's bald skull, confounded to the point of hysteria, he will doubtlessly exhibit himself, waving his crabbed organ like a club in despair against the grim sound that drones on and on over his head."

This image sort of both made me cringe and laugh at the same time. Sometimes life is like that. Both a trainwreck and amusing at the same time. It's at those times you can just stare and laugh I think.

I realized this morning that my world has seemed rather non-descript and somewhat without form since I moved here. It's been like living with a continuous torrential rain. However, it isn't at all without form or construct. I was wrong. I am just caught up in a storm of change and indecision. The monsoon season will soon be over I'm hoping and I will be able to see the true solidity of what MY world is made of. All through it I've had strong, wonderful friends and family supporting me. What a lucky gal I am. I say that sort of off the cuff, but it's really true.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As you know, as ADD as I am, I don't end up reading a lot of fiction, but Ignatius O'Reilly in the Confederate of Dunces is one of the best characters of fiction I've ever encountered. What a wonderful book. Tribe's down, so we're all blogging today!

Smoooochie said...

Somehow I think that if Ignatius had a blog it would be much frequented, delighting and frustrating him to no end. On the other hand I think he would be equally as addicted and repulsed by Tribe. What a fascinatingly disgusting creature he is.