Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Rage and Fury in fhe face of the approximate~

Today the question was made, “What does the world think of us now?” After working so long in international studies and meeting so many people from around the world I am painfully aware of what the world has thought of America for some time. While there are mixed reviews I think the verdict is in that we are a nation of greedy sloth, a federation of idiots, 50 states full of sheep. That is what the WTC was about. That is what Osama Bin Laden is about. That is what Bush being re-elected is about. We have allowed the idea that “It’s good enough” override the idea of “Let’s do better.” Bush is a prime example of how mediocrity is rewarded in this country. People like him because he is simple enough to make them look smart. People like him because he doesn’t flub words like “moral” or “truth” but don’t recognize that he doesn’t understand the concept behind even simple words that he can pronounce. People like him because he says “Trust me,” and then they don’t have to think for themselves. After all, he is the president so why shouldn’t we trust him? Why shouldn’t we indeed? For me the answer is clear and fairly simple. You don’t trust people that have lied to you once you can prove that they’ve lied. You don’t follow people who don’t mind making money from other people’s bloody sacrifice. You don’t accept a job done poorly when it is the most powerful position in the world. At least I don’t. I refuse to compromise when it comes to the foundations that I know this country to be founded on. He is NOT my leader, and doesn't represent me. I suggest reading “Atlas Shrugged” if you haven’t AND reading “1984” and “Animal Farm” again. They aren’t far fetched literature anymore, because between Ayn Rand and George Orwell, this administration has been portrayed to a T and it’s a disgrace. I’m very angry about the acceptance of mediocrity by the people of my country. I’m very angry that the judgmental idea of “moral value” can override the blatant and horrible facts of national security, economy, and war. I’m saddened and hurt, but mostly I’m disappointed and angry. Still, I don’t have to accept half-assed mediocrity into my life, and I won’t. After all, who is John Galt?
Sometimes we just need a little strength to regroup. This has often given me some~

"In the name of the best within you, do not sacrifice this world to those who are its worst. In the name of the values that keep you alive, do not let your vision of man be distorted by the ugly, the cowardly, the mindless in those who have never achieved his title. Do not use lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark, in the hopeless swamps of the approximate, the not-quite, the not-yet, the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish, in lonely frustration for the life you deserved, but have never been able to reach. Check your road and the nature of you battle. The world you desired can be won, it exists, it is real, it is possible, it's yours." ~Ayn Rand

No comments: