Friday, June 23, 2006

Smokers will still go to bars...



July 1st a smoking ban hits the state of Colorado. Specifically-

“A law approved by the Legislature in March bans smoking in most public places but exempts casinos, cigar bars, the Denver International Airport smoking lounge and private workplaces with three or fewer employees.”

A lot of bar owners are up in the air and upset about this measure saying that it’s going to hurt their business. I beg to differ. I don’t go to certain pubs because of the smoke. I don’t like it. Now that they will be smoke free I will be going. A lot of people who don’t like smoky bars will now be able to go out and get a pint without having to deal with smoke in their faces. Also, the people who smoke at a bar are not there because they want to smoke. They are there because they want to drink. They can still grab a cigarette outside like they already have to at work, but they will still go and grab a beer after work or on the weekends.
In addition to this argument there are a LOT of other cities in the country that already have this ban that remarkably still have bars that are making money and successful. In fact it’s now up to 13 states that ban smoking and that doesn’t count the various cities in other states that have banned it.
This ban is awesome. I love it. I can now go out and enjoy my food, beer and company of friends without being infested with the odor of smoke. I can go out dancing and not feel sick for days because of my allergy to smoke. I can take my kids to restaurants and not have our meal ruined because someone has lit up at the table next to ours. Smokers are still allowed to smoke. Business owners will get the same business and potentially more. It’s all good.

No comments: