One of my favorite authors of all time is Neil Gaiman. He has entertained me and delighted me in his darkness and light, his fantastical and thoughtful. Even better he makes me laugh. Here is one entry to his blog I'd forgotten that did just that. (www.neilgaiman.com)
'Friday, June 11, 2004 Whales, beavers, unborn rabbits and barnacle geese, actually posted by Neil Gaiman 6/11/2004 10:17:34 PM I need to start listening while I'm talking. I was having an incredibly respectable telephone conversation with an extremely respectable person this afternoon, and the subject wandered over to Basque whalers, the way that it does, and I was explaining that whale meat was one of the few red meats that the Catholic church historically allowed to be eaten on Fridays and during Lent. "And, oddly enough, beaver was classified as a fish too," I explained earnestly and helpfully and accurately. "So on Fridays and during Lent people used to eat beaver." There was the sound over the phone of a very respectable and respected person making a sputtering sort of snorting noise, and I noticed that statement was capable of meaning rather more than I'd meant it to... '
Another of my favorites is a actually a friend of Gaimans. I didn't know this until much after I'd begun reading him. He is Jonathan Carroll, an expatriate who resides in Vienna. I have only just started reading his blog, but have read the majority of his books. However, I'm so not going to type out any of my favorite passages. Just trust me on this one. "Outside the Dog Museum" is one of the most amusing, thoughtfully books I've read. Period. Not read in the last however long. Just ever. Read it. Go..now..the library has it. (http://www.jonathancarroll.com/indexframes.html)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Holy poo! Haaaaaaa-wheeeze-snort-gasp-hahaha!!! Oh, I can so HEAR this conversation taking place. I LOVE it!! Whew. That's awesome. Thanks for sharing.
And you and Abby may pat yourselves on the back for getting my sassy a** to finally join and make a blog. Gotsta hang wit' my gals and that ain't no booo-shay!
Post a Comment