Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Not for the feint of heart

This first link is really something I would suggest people not reading if the "F" word offends them. However, it's pretty fucking hilarious and pretty fucking accurate as well. http://www.fuckthesouth.com/

Secondly, I watched a dentist drill and pull and prod and bloody my little girls mouth today. For the most part I was o.k., but when they were fitting the caps on her teeth and I could see the gums just taking a beating and then a little bloody spit sort of shot out onto her lip I really about lost it. So, rather than look like I was going to lose it I just closed my eyes and stretched. I think if it had been anyone else it wouldn't have phased me much. Still, that was my baby they were working on. She was a true champ though. She's been moaning about not getting to eat anything of substance, so that's a good sign.

I'm reading this book called Stiff. I think I mentioned it before. It is so hilarious. This woman is talking about corpses and yet I find myself laughing harder than I have at a book in some time. I really would type an excerpt, but it would have to be quite a long one as it seems she goes back sometimes several paragraphs to make a joke about her initial point. Oh alright...I'll do it. In this passage she is in a room w/ 40 cadaver heads. Yes, just heads. There are 80 or so surgeons brushing up on their face lifting skills and being instructed by some of "America's top face-lifters."

'"Isolate the brow as a skin island." The narrator speaks slowly, in a flat tone. I'm sure the idea is to sound niether excited and delighted at the prospect of isolating skin islands, nor overly dismayed. The net effect is that he sounds chemically sedated, which seems to me like a good idea.'

Anyway, the book is a delight an not nearly as morbid as it might sound. And on that note I'm off to read about what they used to do with the cadavers AFTER they were done with them back in the 1800's (remember what they made the soap with in Fight Club?)


No comments: