Sunday, January 09, 2011

New Year, New Goals

Outside the snow is falling, while gentle it's beginning to accumulate a fair amount.  My preference is the snow over the cold, grey days we sometimes get.  Those days don't really seem to amount to much.  It's just cold and grey with nothing to show for it.  I like having something to show for it.
Today has been a day of something to show for, in more than just the snow measurement.  I've spent a good portion of my day studying.  I proofed a paper and turned it in, and the rest has been reading.  Lots of and lots of reading.  But I can see how much I've read and I've thought a lot about what I'm reading so it feels good even though I haven't "done" a lot.  Even better, I feel much more assured than I did yesterday that this whole going back to school idea was a good one.  It's a lot of work.  I'll say it again, it's a LOT of work.  Between working full time, keeping track of all that the kids have going on, trying to keep the house in order and then school...yeah, it's a lot of work.  But again, I do have something to show for it and will continue to have a lot to show for it.  Unlike laundry, which there is always more of the same, this is more but of new and added value.  I like that.
As I've been reading and the snow has been falling I've taken some time to glance up, and make some good decisions.  We are going to paint our living room/hallway and it's been hard to figure out just what color.  We picked that we wanted an olivey green, but which one?  The number of "olive greens" is astounding.  The paint chips we've had up haven't really been paid much attention to until this morning.  I think I know which I'd like.  Now, to do it.  It's going to be a lot of work (physically rather than the other mental work I've been doing), but again there will be something to show for it.  Even better, once that is done we can get a new sofa that faces the window, so I can watch the snow in between chapters.

No comments: