I think Moab is most known for it's mountain bike trails and specifically Slickrock. Being a novice rider I knew that I wasn't going on Slickrock, but Dan hadn't ridden it in a few year so wanted to go. So, after breakfast on the 3rd day we headed over with the promise that after that we could go on a trail that I could ride. I played around riding the entry part and just past this big effing hill that takes you to the practice loop while Dan did the practice loop. I was getting pretty good at riding on the rock and going up not super steep stuff. It was really fun. Dan came back and he watched me do stuff that a 3 year old could probably do and then we left.
We headed straight for the "Monitor & Merrimac" trail. It was one of the "relations
hip proof" rides the girl at the bike shop had mentioned. It was pretty easy to find. We parked and started down yet another gravel road. Fortunately this one was short and not up a long, gradual hill. Well, the gravel road wasn't up a long hill. Then we got on the trail and started the real climb. It's about 7.5 miles round trip. What the lady didn't say is that it's uphill one way and then a really fun ride back down. We did the uphill and then we took it as a loop and on the way back we ran into...SAND!!! EVIL SAND!! Initially it didn't seem that bad until I fell. Yeeaahhh...that sort of sucked, but whatever. I just got some bruises, a scraped knee and covered in sand. There was just enough rock to skin my knee. Damn sand. We slogged through it and made it back the car. In retrospect I think we somehow missed our turn and ended up on the wrong trail. Next time (yeah, there will soooo be a next time) I'm doing this one as an out and back and not as a loop.
hip proof" rides the girl at the bike shop had mentioned. It was pretty easy to find. We parked and started down yet another gravel road. Fortunately this one was short and not up a long, gradual hill. Well, the gravel road wasn't up a long hill. Then we got on the trail and started the real climb. It's about 7.5 miles round trip. What the lady didn't say is that it's uphill one way and then a really fun ride back down. We did the uphill and then we took it as a loop and on the way back we ran into...SAND!!! EVIL SAND!! Initially it didn't seem that bad until I fell. Yeeaahhh...that sort of sucked, but whatever. I just got some bruises, a scraped knee and covered in sand. There was just enough rock to skin my knee. Damn sand. We slogged through it and made it back the car. In retrospect I think we somehow missed our turn and ended up on the wrong trail. Next time (yeah, there will soooo be a next time) I'm doing this one as an out and back and not as a loop.We got back to the b&b and got cleaned up and then just chilled with a couple beers in the lovely garden. We snuggled up on the hammock and watched birds and chatted about who knows what. It really was relaxing and lovely.
For dinner we ended up at Pasta Jay's. There is one in Boulder, too. It was alright. Dan saw some lady get her toes broken when her S.O. pulled his chair up and landed right on her. We took a pretty good walk around town that night just because. It was warm and nice. I love that kind of weather.
Oh yeah! This was the day that I bought the new Weezer CD, which I highly recommend getting.


No comments:
Post a Comment