
After coming back home I’ve realized a few things we did wrong on our trip, but really couldn’t have known beforehand. First, we should have spent our first few days in NYC instead of doing the city after the beach. The city, while interesting, was stressful. Second, I should have been vigilant about planning our time in the city rather than playing it by ear. There is too much to see and do to wing it. Bad planning on my part, but you live and learn and maybe if we go again we’ll keep that in mind. Travel is stressful. Stressful enough to bring on a case of shingles which I was not prepared to deal with. I’ll be sure to pack my meds next time. You just never know. Also, I’ll always make sure that if it’s anywhere close to time for my period to start I’ll keep some sort of feminine protection products close at hand rather than having to scour somewhere like Coney Island for a flippin’ tampon. ‘Nuff said on that subject.
There is so much good stuff to share, but I think the beach stuff is important enough and was the best part of my time that I want to share it first. I’ve always loved the shore. Even though I grew up in the foothills of the Rockies the water and the waves have always been a powerful draw for me. Perhaps it’s because I grew up near the mountains that the ocean is so awesome and entrancing. I love being near it.
It’s always fun to spend time with Dan, but I think even more so when he’s in his element; that element being the beach. He loved it and was so happy. I think knowing how happy he was at the shore is my best memory. It amazing to see someone you love really doing something that makes them down deep happy. It’s just the best. It made me content to just watch him out in the water waiting for just the right wave and then he’d catch it! And just as he would jump off he would be back out paddling to catch the next one. He was obsessed and in love with what he was doing.
My first attempt to surf was not so successful. The waves were really choppy and the way the shore broke it went really deep in this one spot and I couldn’t get past it. At one point the waves snatched me up and just rolled me and rolled me and rolled me and I ended up back on the beach. I am a good enough swimmer to not drown in a sitch like that, but it was really funny. Really, really funny. Then after we got back to the house I found that I had sand in every crack and crevice- even up my nose!! Haha!! My second attempt was a couple days later and while I didn’t actually get up standing I did ride a wave or two in on my belly. Even though I love being on the shore, the idea of how big the ocean is and how deep it is really unnerves me (phobia time) and so I was really proud of myself for even getting out to where I couldn’t touch on a board. I was afraid, but I did it! That made me feel good, too.

I had fun along the beach as well as in the waves. I took a lot of photos of everything. I sat and wrote a lot about my thoughts and took time to catch up with myself. I sat and stared into the water watching each wave and noticing how they were all different from one another and how they rolled in and where they would end up along the sand. And I observed a lot at things like Larry the albatross (I think he was just a seagull), a crab that was left on shore when the tide went out (he was little and crabby), and then watching the silly sandpipers run back and forth. It was all very entertaining in a way that I’m not sure I can describe. I want to say it was playful, but that isn’t completely accurate because it wasn’t as if I was frolicking on the beach. Yet, it was playful and sedate and interesting and relaxing and funny and thoughtful and so many things just like the way sand is made up of a lot of little particles you can’t fully detail.
I suspect that if things go as Dan and I like we will end up with a house on the beach someday. Which beach I don’t know, and I don’t suppose that at this stage it would matter. I just want to wake up to the waves and the sand and whole indescribable bit of it.
There is so much good stuff to share, but I think the beach stuff is important enough and was the best part of my time that I want to share it first. I’ve always loved the shore. Even though I grew up in the foothills of the Rockies the water and the waves have always been a powerful draw for me. Perhaps it’s because I grew up near the mountains that the ocean is so awesome and entrancing. I love being near it.

It’s always fun to spend time with Dan, but I think even more so when he’s in his element; that element being the beach. He loved it and was so happy. I think knowing how happy he was at the shore is my best memory. It amazing to see someone you love really doing something that makes them down deep happy. It’s just the best. It made me content to just watch him out in the water waiting for just the right wave and then he’d catch it! And just as he would jump off he would be back out paddling to catch the next one. He was obsessed and in love with what he was doing.
My first attempt to surf was not so successful. The waves were really choppy and the way the shore broke it went really deep in this one spot and I couldn’t get past it. At one point the waves snatched me up and just rolled me and rolled me and rolled me and I ended up back on the beach. I am a good enough swimmer to not drown in a sitch like that, but it was really funny. Really, really funny. Then after we got back to the house I found that I had sand in every crack and crevice- even up my nose!! Haha!! My second attempt was a couple days later and while I didn’t actually get up standing I did ride a wave or two in on my belly. Even though I love being on the shore, the idea of how big the ocean is and how deep it is really unnerves me (phobia time) and so I was really proud of myself for even getting out to where I couldn’t touch on a board. I was afraid, but I did it! That made me feel good, too.

I had fun along the beach as well as in the waves. I took a lot of photos of everything. I sat and wrote a lot about my thoughts and took time to catch up with myself. I sat and stared into the water watching each wave and noticing how they were all different from one another and how they rolled in and where they would end up along the sand. And I observed a lot at things like Larry the albatross (I think he was just a seagull), a crab that was left on shore when the tide went out (he was little and crabby), and then watching the silly sandpipers run back and forth. It was all very entertaining in a way that I’m not sure I can describe. I want to say it was playful, but that isn’t completely accurate because it wasn’t as if I was frolicking on the beach. Yet, it was playful and sedate and interesting and relaxing and funny and thoughtful and so many things just like the way sand is made up of a lot of little particles you can’t fully detail.

I suspect that if things go as Dan and I like we will end up with a house on the beach someday. Which beach I don’t know, and I don’t suppose that at this stage it would matter. I just want to wake up to the waves and the sand and whole indescribable bit of it.


No comments:
Post a Comment