Tomorrow is my first day of taking the light rail to work. I don't know how long it's going to take. I don't know if it will really save me money, and it certainly isn't going to save me any time. So, why am I doing it? The reasons are fairly simple.
First, I hate the whole idea that the money I spend on gas is helping big oil show their "largest profits ever!" If I were paying $3.50 a gallon knowing that the money was going to help figure out how to find cleaner fuel alternatives or making sure that the oil riggers in Nigeria were getting paid a fair wage then I'd be o.k. with it. However, I know that there are issues with 3rd world labor wages and I don't think that big oil is in it for the environment. I just don't. I'm not a tree-hugging peace child out to save the world. Just a mom that wants a good place for her kids to grow up.
Secondly, I need the freakin' exercise. While I'm not at my heaviest I am heavier than I'm comfortable with so I've decided that the extra half mile here and there walking, kick/pushing, or riding my bike will add up. I've made a few dietary changes as well, so we'll see. I just need to be down about 5 lbs and I'll be back where I am comfy. Yay!
Lastly, I just like cities that have public transportation that works and I want it to work in Denver. So, that being said it's fairly hypocritical for me to not use it often. I love being in cities like D.C. or S.F. where you can hop on a train and get where you want to go fairly quickly. I want Denver to be a city like that so this is my little way of helping and hoping it succeeds. They are bleeding money into it so I'm going to just make it work for me. I live .4 miles from the silly station so I should do it. I"m going to do it. Tomorrow!! I'll let you know how it goes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment