Wednesday, June 27, 2007

The Politics of Politics

I’ve been reading about politics and the corruption of our government for some time now. Years in fact. Sometimes I’m more involved and watchdog-like than others. Sometimes I stay on the fringe. During both phases of involvement I’ve always been sort of perplexed when I hear elected government figures (a.k.a. politicians) refer to a differing a opinion or an opposing party accusing the one party of doing something as “Political.” A good example is the recent inquiry into why the VP of our country hasn’t allowed his documents to go through the proper oversight process. Part of the response I’ve heard is that it’s a “political move” on the part of the Democrats. Well, here’s my perplexity. If you are in politics exactly what part of your job isn’t “political?” Isn’t keeping the other guy in check part of the politics of the United States and wasn’t it designed to work that way? I believe this is called “Checks and Balances” and maybe it’s political, but that’s how we’ve kept from getting a dictator until now. Maybe…no, probably it’s naïve of me to think that politicians deal in politics. It’s been that way. I think right now it’s one of the only lines of defense that the Bush/Cheney administration have other than “I can’t remember” or “Because that doesn’t happen in MY government.”

3 comments:

Adam Lipscomb said...

Oh, Smoooochie. ::shakes head sadly::

WHY, OH WHY DO YOU HATE AMERICA???!!!

Anonymous said...

... it’s one of the only lines of defense that the Bush/Cheney administration have other than “I can’t remember.”

They're down to a primal whine, "Because I don't want to." Leahy and Conyers seem up to the challenge. Let the games begin...

Smoooochie said...

"Want in one hand and shit in the other and see which hand fills up faster."
I really hope that the Judiciary committee really open this up and comes full force. It's ridiculous that the WH think that their wants are above legal retribution. I guess we will see where it goes.