Wednesday, April 04, 2007

Time flies when you're having fun...or not.

It’s funny the way that time works. Each second is the same measure and all of these add into minutes that are all the same length and eventually you get enough of these little equal measurements and it adds up to a year. It’s all very measured. While this is all very logical it’s not really how time works. Time works this way. You look back and some things that were a very long time ago and they seem like they happened very recently. Then there are other things that happened very recently and they seem distant.

Time itself has definitely not been a good measure to use when talking about how long it’s been since we moved into our house. The process of moving seems ages ago. Perhaps I have distanced myself from the event because moving is not something I relish. I can say that I’m happily embedded into this neighborhood and house. I’m staying place and that makes me really happy. The idea that it was only a year ago that I lived elsewhere is absurd. It had to be much longer ago, but it’s not. I mean we have a completely different yard than when we moved in! That can’t happen in a year.

All of that being said how can I have possibly lived here for a whole year?! We still have boxes that have yet to be unpacked. Granted they are all in the basement and are mostly boxes of books that I still need to buy a bookshelf for, but they are still packed boxes. I have only JUST met some of my neighbors. I don’t even have curtains on one of the bathroom windows yet!! This is ridiculous. There is no way I could have lived here for a whole year.

Yet, we have. We have lived in our house for a year. A year ago we were still surrounded by boxes in every room and were still dealing with our old landlord. A year ago we had a deck, and a lot of not so good landscape. A year ago we had just gotten the dog from hell, and now we have Lily Lucifer, a much calmer version. A year ago I didn’t know any of my neighbors, much less really enjoy some them as much as I do. A year ago the only plan was to find the basics among the boxes, get our refridgerator to fit through the door, and not kill the newest dog. Now the plan is to fine tune all the details that will make this really and truly our home. Well, until we can afford to remodel....

No comments: