Thursday, April 05, 2007

Rememberance


I haven’t forgotten the day that I walked into Wax Trax and this loud music was screaming at me. I loved it! The record was “Bleach” and it had just come out that very day. I bought it then and there and have been a fan of Nirvana’s ever since.
I don’t know why we mark the day of someone’s death to remember them more than we do the date of their birth. Today marks the 13th anniversary of the day that Kurt Cobain chose to end his life. We didn’t find out until days later, but it was such a sad day. In some ways it’s hard to believe it was that long ago. Time again working it’s odd way of altering things. I think for many people of my generation Nirvana was a marker in our lives, and thus the day he died became a marker, too. He was the voice of our angst, of our youth, and of our figuring “it” all out. Maybe I’m projecting, but so be it.
I have wondered what he would have done if he lived. He may have become even bigger than he already was or maybe he would have just faded into a shadow. It doesn’t do much to speculate because he chose not to do either. So, we are left with his work and the effects of his legacy. Thanks, Kurt.

1 comment:

Smoooochie said...

Yeah, I wasn't sure at the time why I was so very upset about it. The older I get the better I get it.