Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Scentses....

I’ve been putting off writing a blog post, and I’m not sure why. I keep thinking that I need to figure out a topic, but really that will come if I start writing. It always does and then I end up erasing the nonsense that I’ve written before and have a nice little post. Acually, I’ve been working on one post, but it’s taking a long time so I just need something in the mean time.

The sense of smell. I’ve been thinking about this topic for awhile now and trying to figure out what I want to write about it. You know, for me it’s just about as important as my sight. It’s a big part of my memory and my connection to people and places. It’s a big piece of recollection for me. If I see something and there is no particular smell associated then I only have my sight and maybe some sort of sound to connect me. But if there is a smell, something specific, it makes the memory go from being very flat to making it pop and become real again. I can remember the way my grandfather would smell after he showered and first opened the bathroom door. The steam from the shower would collect the scent of his shaving cream and deodorant and push through the house. It puts me there and I can remember him so much more vividly. There are so many people I remember this way~ by the way they smell as much as by their face or the sound of their voices. I don’t know if it’s this way for everyone, but I’m glad it’s this way for me. I like that a scent can invoke a memory and make it real again. I have some really enjoyable memories that are just that much better because of it.

See, just starting to write always ends up in a decent blog. Weird, but nice.

No comments: