Thursday, May 04, 2006

When I was just a little girl.

My children were asking me about how things were when I was a child. I was thinking about it and telling them the things I remember about. And I came to realize just how much has changed in the last 37 years. The list kept going longer and longer. Everything from the types of television shows that were on, the sense of humor that was used, the band frequency for radio, the medium we listen to music on, and even just the way we pay for our basic needs.
I remember being a child and asking my grandmother about the things that had changed from the time she was a child until then. She was 49 years old than I so she’d had well over half a century to thing about the changes. There was a lot different. A LOT.
Then I think about the times my mother grew up in. She’s only 19 years older than I am, so certainly less of a span and I think there were some changes, but perhaps because she was so young when she had me not so much had changed. Most people had cars, there were TV’s, records, and kids were even wearing similar clothes. It just wasn’t as different as the span between my children and I in what changed.
So, where is this going? Maybe nowhere, but it just struck me as amazing about how many things had changed. I wonder if it’s just because we are so technology obsessed and the information age has created such a boom of “new.” I wonder what it will be like when my children have children and I wonder if they will have any frame of reference to the things I had as a child vs. what they will have. How exactly can you explain 8-Tracks after all?

No comments: