Thursday, May 11, 2006

2, 2, 2 posts in one


I love my longboard and cruising down the sidewalk at whatever pace I feel the energy for. I like to just surf and feel the way the wheels roll smoothly over the surface of the cement. It’s not as flashy as the smaller boards that chase and jump around the bowls and grind along coping, and I don’t feel the need to be adventurous and go down super steep dangerous hills. I’m fine taking my time and enjoying the ride. The skateboard park downtown is near the Platte river here and there is a nice long path that runs along side. The sidewalk rolls along with just enough up and down that the ride isn’t passive or thoughtless. And there are plenty of sights along the way to see. Why take up skateboarding again 20 years after breaking my tailbone doing it? Now I’m not afraid to do it at the pace that I enjoy. I don’t feel like I’m having to impress anyone, but can rather just take my time and do it because it’s fun.
Secondly, and completely unrelated, I’m thinking of my grandparents today. My grandfather, Papo, died 13 years ago. I was much too young to lose a parent, but life doesn’t always work the way we want it to. We don’t always get what we want even if it’s just one more day with a person we love. And that brings me to my other grandparent, NeeNee. She was a firm believer in letting the people you love know that you love them. She always stressed that regretting not saying something is a lot harder to cope with than living with saying something that was real and true like love is. I loved them because they were my parents and my friends. I hope all my friends and family know I love them because I do.

No comments: