Sunday, March 19, 2006

on friends

The idea of what I consider friendship to be has been presented to me a few times recently. I’ve been thinking about it a bit. I don’t have a lot of really close friends. A few. A handful. All of which were either founded during the time I was in the process of leaving my ex-husband or shortly there after. I didn’t have even a handful during the marriage so that’s how it goes. The friendships that I’ve taken the time to make and nurture are very dear to me and I don’t take them lightly. I don’t like the idea of being a casual friend. That isn’t a friend. That’s an acquaintance. Acquaintances are all fine and good, but you can’t turn to them for life. Moving, heartbreak, sincere discussion and feedback and sometimes in life these are things that everyone needs. It’s not about when the sun is shining and everything is fun, although that is important too. For me friendship, true friendship is through thick and thin. Through anger, frustration, whatever with that friend. You don’t stop mid-stream because it’s not a fun time anymore. Like everything it will be a fun time again at some point, but until it is a friend is there by your side. I love my friends. And I know they love me even when I’ve done something to really piss them off. So, when it’s all said and done for me friendship is about weathering AND enjoying life together. It’s not the shiny, casual petty stuff of acquaintances, but rather the nitty-gritty rough and tumble roller coaster. And it’s worth it.

No comments: