Saturday, July 16, 2005

Lemonade! Ice Cold Lemonade!


Today was the second time my children had a lemonade stand. They are becoming quite the entrepreneurs. We are discussing the various aspects of business as we go. We have discussed advertising and marketing. And we are about to discuss overhead. They are currently making a list of what products they had to use and are arguing about whether water counts as one of the products. We have discussed putting money back into your business before, but I think it's going to have to be repeated. We have also had the chance to discuss measurements. I've notice that a lot of people don't know measurements.
Um.....I'm not sure what my point is here. I think just that I wish that I had had someone to discusss this stuff with me when I was little. It would have given me some basic concepts a lot earlier to build on. I guess that makes the point that there are so many things that I think parents forget their children need to know. It's easy to not remember all the basic things when there is so much out there telling us what's important. The right shoes, the right soccer team, the right school...etc. What does all that matter when we are forgetting to teach our kids about how far "please" and "thank you" can get them? Or how important it is to invest in yourself and the things that will make you more money? Or how much work it can be to get something rewarding? I really hope that exercises like having my kids sell lemonade teach them some of this. I have to remember that school is important, but that everyday life has a lot of important lessons as well.

No comments: