Saturday, January 15, 2005

half formed thought about jargon and how I have my own little world

I was just eating some basmati with a little ghee and realized how the words I chose might confuse some people. The ones that it doesn’t are obviously my friends and the ones that it does well, maybe they should get out more. I think I tend to use a lot of jargon that has direct bearing on the things that I enjoy. But then really who doesn’t. Have you ever heard a group of golfers talking. “I was on the 8th and par was 3. I bogey’d it.” Huh? It’s the same in all the various industries and the action item words that people use. The words that I use that might alienate people are the same thing. They are just my action items for things that I have found relevant in my life. It’s not REALLY to exclude or to include, but just how I choose to describe, express or explain the things going on in my life.

3 comments:

Smoooochie said...

oooooo...I love when other people teach me about stuff. Like the Veggie cutlets. Yummm...I need to do those again soon.

Frisbee Girl said...

Oh man, I've really gotten into trouble here with some people. And it's part personality, I have definitely come to recognize, in my specific case. I have a deeply ingrained love of language. I absolutely adore wordplay. I'm fascinated by the organic liquidity of language and its constant evolution. Slang makes me a little giddy. I love working out the puzzle of the meaning through context. I also forget that this exhausts, bores, annoys the hell out of some people.

In restaurant, you learn how to be as concise, but descriptive as possible so as to convey the most info as quickly as possible. Seconds count. We all know this. When you're starving and want your basmati rice and ghee YESTERDAY, each second stretching before you and it becomes five. This is how 5 real time minutes become the proverbial half hour. It's all about economy at that point.

Add the food element to that bag of words, where you start mixing in any number of different languages, heavy on classical French and actually you do start wandering into a grey area of sorts. On the other hand, I've done this for most of my life and these words aren't jargon any more than blue is as a description of the sky. And now I check myself and most often opt to translate: "I got completely tubed on a high end deuce tonight because garde mangier went to the ER after shredding his hand on the mandoline. The saucier moved to the pantry, drug my half shell order, we were out of the splits for coursing that they wanted and the creme brulee was broken." comes out as: "The night? Eh, it was a bit bumpy."

Smoooochie said...

haha!! That is fantastic! I tend to use the abbreviations that Geoffrey and Bronte have created. Like "Thay?" for "What did you just say?" or Quiet soup for potato soup. There are a ton of others. Words are fun. I guess that's partly why I write. Because if you take a whole bunch of the silly things you can create images in other people's minds, and that rocks.