Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Online nicknames

Alright, while someone named Smoooochie probably doesn't have much room to talk I just want to pause and reflect on the nicknames people choose to use in online communities, chatrooms, etc.
First of all, stop with the damn "Matrix" names. How many people can be named after the characters in that movie? LOTS! If you like the movie that much be original and go with Keanu Lawrence, or CarryKickAss. For heaven's sakes at least it would be original. To be honest Morpheus just puts me to sleep. (eww...that was bad) Shit, for that matter if you have to name yourself after a famous movie character just give in and admit that you like to watch reruns of Barney, as well. (And no, Smoooochie has NOTHING to do w/ the movie...at ALL)
Secondly, if your name is something common, and I mean common like Tom, Dick, Dumbass, don't be just a Tom, a Dick or a Dumbass. Add an initial or something so that when people go to search for you later they don't come up with 8 pages of dumbasses to search through. Because quite frankly searching through 1 page of Dick...wait...searching through more than one page of Tom is way too much. (heh)
Lastly, it's 4 o's. Not three. Not 2. Not a whole freakin' line long. Just 4. It's really quite simple. So, much so that the guys at Starschmucks could get it so I know all these intelligent geeks who live on the web (yes, I'm talking about most of my pals and myself again) can figure it out.

Alright, I'm done w/ my rant. Move along to the next blog.

1 comment:

Adam Lipscomb said...

That's why I've always used my first 2 initials and my last name - I'm a fan of transparency, and while it means it's easy to find me online, it also means that I make sure I mean what I say.

Granted, I'm a guy, so I have fewer concerns in the "creepy, knife-weilding stalker" department.

OK, so really, I'm just too damn lazy to think of an interesting and original handle. But the other stuff could be true.