People are often surprised that I don’t like Thanksgiving. “It’s
a holiday about family and being thankful for what you have,” they argue. That
is true in theory, but in practice it has not been my experience. I am not
going to talk about historical fact, or the deception and death that Pilgrims
brought in any detail, but there is that aspect of it. It is my own experiences
that have brought me to a place where I simply don’t need Thanksgiving. The ultimate outcome from sharing this is that
I’d like a different Thanksgiving, one that creates memories other than those
of football, overindulgence and chaos. This exploration is a starting point of
creating a better Thanksgiving.
Growing up we would often spend Thanksgiving with my
extended family and often family friends, as well. As an only child this was, to
say the least, overwhelming. My grandparents raised me and so ours was a relatively
quiet house. At Thanksgiving, regardless of which house we were celebrating,
there was only the bathroom as a refuge of solitude before being cast back into
the chaos of people. As I got older and up until I was married at the age of 21,
I was still forced to sit at the “kids table.” Trust me, there was nothing at
all to be thankful about sitting with my much younger cousins at a low play
table eating with the “stickies.” They’ve grown up and I adore them, but at the
time it felt like the ultimate insult.
As an adult I have found ways to deal with an overly loud
and full house. A quick walk alone, an empty bedroom for a bit, and yes, the
solitude of the bathroom is still a quick refuge. Additionally, I no longer
have to sit at the kids table. Thank goodness!! Still my experience has been
that Thanksgiving is a day of gluttony for some and enslavement for others. I
guess historically speaking that is probably an irony often overlooked. There
will be a few family members slaving away to provide an overabundance of food
for their family and friends. Most of the food will not get eaten and end up in
the trash at a later date. And while they are working away, others will aggressively
watch a football game that is on just a little too loudly for any sort of
conversation with the family you are so excited about spending time with. How
is any of that a day of gratitude or time with family?
As dear friends have pointed out, I am a good cook throughout
the year. My family is lucky that we have an abundance of healthy food that I
am skilled enough to prepare. I share my cooking with my family with gratitude
on a regular basis. My husband’s mother is also an incredible cook and we share
a meal with the family on a monthly basis. There is no reason to eat until one
is so full of food that you become ill. You simply don’t need a 2000 calorie
meal to be thankful for having good food. It’s gross in the extreme. And for
the record I am totally against the concept of “All you can eat buffet” for the
same reason. It’s disgusting on so many levels.
Also, with both of my grandparents having passed there is
always the sadness of missing them. I do always miss them, but it is somehow
punctuated on this day and seeing everyone who still has their parents get to relived
memories of growing up. That is gone for me. Certainly I can look forward to
that with my children in the future, but now their childhood is still so fresh
it doesn’t hold the same fondness. There is no one who was there during my
childhood still living. It’s the only tragedy of being an only child.
Finally, why should gratitude and being thankful for having
enough be highlighted only once a year? And how is it sincere when it is
followed up with a frenzied scurry to buy even more stuff!? I am a firm
believer that the act of being grateful is a daily practice. Sharing what you
have with others whether it’s food, conversation or even just a smile is not
something to reserve for Thanksgiving. It should be practiced daily. DAILY.
The bottom line is I don’t need Thanksgiving in order to
celebrate all that it represents (in theory). I don’t need an empty actuality
of a chaos-filled, football marathon with a hearty dose of gluttony.


No comments:
Post a Comment