Saturday, May 09, 2009

Plants

So, it's begun. The annual planting and insanity of buying said plants. We usually buy our annuals at our local Home Depot, but this year their selection is...well it sucks! Yeah, they have your basic petunias and impatients, but other than that it's no good. The only daylilies they had were HUGE and $15. I'm a patient gardener. I'm happy to pay $5 for a smaller perinneal because guess what? They grow. I guess next weekend I'll be heading to a different store. I did get a few things.
The main thing that I got was my Mother's Day roses. I love getting rose bushes for Mother's Day. That way I get to enjoy the roses all summer. Unfortunately, I think we are about out of space so these may be the last of the new bushes I'll get for awhile. Even so, I have all the beautiful plants to remind me of how much I'm loved.
Alright, I have some holes to dig and pots to fill.

1 comment:

Megan Lynch said...

Home Depot has its uses but I find it's a lot more rewarding to go to an independent nursery. In Berkeley, we're lucky to have several good ones. I find neat-o rare stuff and the staff is really knowledgeable. Most importantly, they take better care of the plants.

You may have no more room to plant rose bushes, but if you learn how to graft, you can keep grafting new varieties onto what you already have.