Tuesday, December 11, 2007

What? Work?

"I have many friends in the position where they have to work night jobs or work weekends, trying to do what they can to make some money," he said.

Oh my GAWD!!! Someone has to work to afford to get a college education?! They have to spend some of their free time to help pay for something that will get them a significantly better pay check? Heaven forbid! Can you even imagine having to WORK while going to school? What is the life of an over-priviledged, entitled frat boy come to?!

I agree that state colleges should be more affordable. Parents work hard to make sure that their children have the grades to get into a college and it's often hard to find the money to get them there. States should try and do what they can to keep tuition at a reasonable rate so that their citizens can afford to go. Having an educated workforce is key to a states economy in many ways. More economically stable people mean more income tax, less drain on state resources, etc.
However, I think arguing the point that they are actually having to work for tuition is absurd and hardly a college level point of debate. That which is free is rarely ever valued. If you don't believe me take a look at how many students lose the Georgia HOPE scholarship because they can't maintain the B average that full ride requires. I'm not sorry that these kids have to work a part-time job when their friends are partying it up. Part of being an adult is working for the things in life that you want, and if it has to start for some people in college then so be it. I did it. My boyfriend did it. Lot's of people I know had to do it. Deal you big friggin' CU whiners.

No comments: