Monday, September 10, 2007

Weezer, poetry and a Balinese dancer


Smashing Pumpkins are playing on my web radio (ww.radioio.com) and the little paperclip guy is up in the corner watching and waiting to help me out with any Word issues. (Yeah, I do have an old version of Word, but it works alright.) There are a number of things floating around in my head about various subjects.

I read a poem today on J.C.’s website and it made me think of a dream I had several years ago. I think what got me was this verse:


So if I ever die, look up into the dark and find me hundreds of times there,
each place you can faintly imagine a line tracing the shape of a valentine.
(Francette Cerulli)


It really is not directly related to the dream at all, but it still brought the dream to the forefront of my mind. I suppose I should recount the dream here.

I was staying at a bed and breakfast on vacation. It was a beautiful house with a garden lush and green. It wasn’t hot or cold, but just the temperature that beckons you to open the windows and enjoy the air. I was standing at the end of a hallway that opened up to a living room with big picture windows that open up to the garden and the hills beyond. The hall was about 8 feet wide and had bamboo wood flooring that was gleaming from being cleaned. In front of me on the landing to the living room there is a Balinese dancer. She’s in full regalia and dancing a story. I don’t know the story, but just her movements are mesmerizing. As I stood there someone walked up behind me and put their arms over my shoulders lovingly. We were just standing watching her as lost in her movements as she was and it felt perfect.

This is the problem with dreams. They have the ability to feel solidly real, but are intangible in the reality of things. They have no substance other than what our logical awake mind gives them, but they are illogical creations our subconscious needs. I know this and yet that dream still feels like it was important and real.

While writing this several songs have played. Mostly stuff I’m not sure of, but now Weezer is on with “El Scorcho.” And somehow that seems appropriate as I end this post. Goddamned you half-Balinese girls…


I wish I could get my head out of the sand 'Cause I think we'd make a good team
And you would keep my fingernails clean But that's just a stupid dream that I
won't realize 'Cause I can't even look in your eyes Without shakin', and I ain't
fakin' I'll bring home the turkey if you bring home the bacon.

No comments: