
"This is the face of a little girl that lives in Iraq. This is how the fortunate look in Iraq. We created this situation because we believed the lies that the Bush administration told us, and we have done nothing to stop them. Just a thought."
So, that is what I wrote earlier. I've been thinking about it and that's just an easy out. It was an easy out on my part rather than really saying how this photo made me feel.
I was sitting at my desk looking at this little girl and I nearly started crying at work. This could be my daughter looking at the camera. And yes, she is one of the luckier ones because the unlucky ones are in graves. These are the same people that we went in to "give democracy to." I don't think democracy looks like this. It also makes me feel really ashamed, and like I haven't done enough to voice how much we need to end this war. I'm ashamed that I haven't pressed my Congress people harder to force the issue. It makes me angry to know that the Bush Administration is still just as intent on "winning" this war as they ever were and yet children just like this little girl are dying every day. And even saying all of this is somewhat of an easy out because I don't know what we as a collective or me as an individual can do to get us off this crazy path. I just don't know.


No comments:
Post a Comment