Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Quick Trip


This image and this blog post have nothing to do with one another.



The yard has come to a stand still. It’s been cold. It’s too early to plant. And quite frankly, we have been having fun instead of working.
Last weekend we went to Winter Park, CO for a little Spring snowboarding. Danimal’s parents rented a large condo so his sister flew in from Brooklyn, his brother’s family, and we all drove up Friday for a nice weekend getaway.
Per usual we rushed out of the house hoping we hadn’t forgotten anything and feeling very much under the gun. I don’t know why vacations or weekend getaways always seem to start like that. The point, after all, is to relax. Even so we were rushed. Even worse I was starving because I’d been so busy trying to get us out the door I’d not eaten lunch and it was 6:00. It was nothing a good candy bar wouldn’t take care of, but that would have to wait until we’d been on the road an hour.
We did eventually stop after we’d left the cold and fog of Denver behind. We all got snacks and felt much less hurried to get up to Winter Park. Dan, Deana and I all talked about grown up stuff, Bronte chilled and Geoffrey played his Gameboy. Then about ½ up Berthoud Pass we noticed how we were rising slowly above the clouds. When we got to the top we stopped at the old ski area parking lot to take photos. Dan got out of the car and Deana poked her phone out of the window. Then Dan saw a GIANT snowball. He started messing around with it so Deana got out to take photos of her crazy brother. It was getting dark and cold so that didn’t last as long as it might have. Once back in the car Deana realized her phone was missing. So, back out of the car we went to search in dusky and eventually dark conditions for her phone. No luck. Really. Just no luck so back down the other side of the pass and to the condo where dinner was waiting.
The evening was a good one full of catching up, telling stories of when the 3 kids were kids, and playing with Lilianna, Dan’s 9 month old niece. Eventually, we all decided it was time for bed. Dan and I were headed down the stairs when Dan gasped and turned to look at me with a startled look.
“Did you grab the luggage?” he asked.
“No, you said you were getting it.”
“I got the kids, but not ours!! OH NO!” Yep, that’s right. We’d left all of our clothes in our luggage in our bedroom in Denver. Woooops! Fortunately, we could buy underwear and we were near the size of other members of the better prepared part of the group. More fortunately we keep our boarding gear separate from our clothing.
The next morning we got up and were ready to go hit the slopes. It had snowed the day before so we were hopeful of somewhat decent conditions. Just before heading out we discovered that we weren’t the only forgetful ones. Dan’s brother had left his pass and ski pants at home. We worked it out and went up to the mountain.
I have to say that I’ve “gotten” it. I’m not great and regular blues still intimidate me a bit, but I can carve like nobody’s business down a blue-green slope. It was so sunny and beautiful I was just loving it. We got in about 5 runs and then took lunch. After lunch we took a different lift and went down a blue. Yeah, I should have worn my knee pads because I took a hard fall and bruised my knees up pretty badly. I made it back down the hill, but that was it for me.
Easter Sunday we woke up to 6 new inches of snow. I can’t say powder because it was so heavy and wet it was more like snow soup. I chose to stay at the condo and relax in the hot tub. It was a good choice. I got to know Dan’s parents even better and I got to play with Lilianna and watch Bronte play with her as well. When the others came back soaked from their 3 or 4 runs we got packed up and headed home.
All in all the trip wasn’t so relaxing, but I did learn a few things. Getting ready for a little trip is just as hard as preparing for a week long trip. Dan’s parents are really nice people. I am actually going to get good at this stupid snowboarding sport so the pain I’ve endured might actually going to pay off.
It’s always nice to be home. The dogs, the cat and I were happy to see one another. Now if I could just catch up on all the house work I’ve been neglecting…

No comments: