Friday, January 12, 2007

Couch sitting



I wrote this a couple days ago. I’m still sick, but I’ve been off the couch doing things. Like interviewing! The interview yesterday went very well and I have a second interview with them next week. I’m keeping hope alive on this one. It would be great.

I’m stuck on the couch today. I’ve been battling a cold for 3 weeks now and I’m finally giving in and taking a day to rest. Well, not do as much as I’ve been doing. Here’s a rundown of the holidays, the vacation, and the job search.

The Holidays-

I’ve often felt that a lot of the holiday spirit died with my grandmother. The careful and creative wrapping of gifts, the excitement of decorating the tree, and just the general joy were altered in some indescribable way that horrible November day. I have tried hard to make my children holiday’s happy ones full of all the dreams, lights and wishes that it should be and with that effort it has changed into something different, but special. My holiday season will always have a certain element of missing my grandmother, but I think building memories and traditions with my children is the focus that has changed it into something special again.

The Vacation-

Five days away from home doesn’t sound like very much time, and really I suppose that it’s not that long. It’s the same number of days in a basic work week. So, how can that time be effectively used to create a fully relaxing vacation? I suppose with unlimited funds that would be an easy task, however unlimited funds were available the question would be if one even needed a vacation. Well, despite the Danimal and I not having unlimited funds (remember I quit my job) we took a five day vacation that was actually long enough. We took two days to travel casually to and from our destination. During the first of the travel days we stopped at the Great Sand Dunes and took some fun photos. We also got more information so we can have a weekend camping trip there in the future. Our destination was Pagosa Springs/Wolf Creek ski area and we made it about 2 hours later than we’d planned, but the springs were hot and ready when we got there. They were a lovely après ski each of the 3 snowboard days, too!
What can I say about snowboarding? With crash pads and knee pads it’s a lot less hurty than without. Also, with a lot of powder the falls are a lot easier. :D We snowboarded for 3 days. The first was groomed conditions, the second full on fresh and falling powder, and the third a lovely mix of the two. Each day ended with food I didn’t have to cook or clean up after and then the hot springs. Our drive home was quite simply evil. The snow we had enjoyed on the slopes had turned the roads into a completely icy and windy way home. Seven hours after we left we were home. So, that’s how we had a 5 day vacation that relaxed us. (Notice how I left out the cursing, crying and whining the first morning back on the board?)






The Job Search-

What can I say? I’ve looked at a lot of job boards, read a lot of job descriptions and applied to a number of positions. I have an interview tomorrow so we’ll see how that goes. I’m taking my time in finding just the right fit. I am not taking the first thing that comes along unless it’s a good fit and fulfills more than just the need of a paycheck.

1 comment:

Kirkrrt said...

I am with you on the job search. Actually I was with you for Dec. until this week.

Don't get down. It takes tons of work. The most success I had was with a job fair. Go to as many of those as possible. Now-a-days everyone gets hundreds of resumes emailed to them. I think putting your face in their's and turning on the charm is important.

Let me count...
51 resumes before my first interview.
77 total applications

I am in a two week trial period with a job I hope works out, but if not I have three more interested. Those are from the one job fair I went to. I also have a standing offer to teach driver's education. I really can't think of a scarier job than being driven around Atlanta by 15 and 16 year olds.

Job hunting takes time and work and in the end you will get a job where you know someone, or a friend of your neighbor works, or something like that.