Thursday, November 09, 2006

Answer for Kirrrrt


Geoffrey and Bronte in their helmets Posted by Picasa


Kirrrt was asking me about skateboards for his boys in a comment down below. I started typing out an answer, but it got long enough I felt like it deserved an entry of it’s own. His question was:

“I have a question about skateboards. The ones I bought my boys have crappy little white wheels that barely roll. Do I need to upgrade the boards (better than the Wal-mart el-cheapo model) or can I upgrade the wheels?What should I be looking for in skate wheels for a 6 and 7 year old?”

As a mother who skateboards I have a little experience with this. The answer actually involves a few questions, but really it’s important to buy the best board for your child, yourself, or anyone that is going to really ride. After all, it’s your money AND it’s your loved one.

1. Have your boys worn out their skateboards? This is a pretty easy question to answer. Are they chipped up on the nose and tail? When you spin the wheels do they stop spinning or not spin at all? If the answer is no and the boards aren’t being ridden you aren't going to want to get anything other than a Wal-Mart board. Why pay money for something that is going to sit in the garage most of the time? If they are using them and having a lot of fun riding then invest in a good solid board. You can get a good blank deck at most skate shops for about $25-30. You can get away with fairly generic trucks, but make sure that the bushings are swapped out for something soft. Bushings are CHEAP (maybe $3) so it’s worth it. Also, make sure that you have some decent bearings. They don’t have to be the top of the line, but bearings are what make the wheels roll smoothly so they are important. Now, on to wheels.

2. With regard to the wheels the most important question is what surface do they skateboard on? You are going to need to get wheels that match the surface because if you get a soft wheel on the street you will need new wheels every two weeks. If they are in a skate park (Atlanta is about to get a new Woodward park!!) and the surface is "wood" then you are going to want to get a wheel that works for that surface. Here we need soft sticky wheels for the park because it's like ice. So, when you are at the skate shop ask them what they recommend for the surface that your boys are skating.

3. How much do you want to spend? You can get blank decks at your local shop or even on eBay for pretty cheap. Then build it up. The good thing about a skateboard is you can swap everything on it out if you wear it out or it doesn’t fit your need anymore. If your kids really like skateboarding invest a little bit upfront and then you can upgrade as they get better.

4. What are you riding? I’m not joking. Get yourself a board (longboards are really fun and super easy to learn) and go out with them. Skateboarding is a very bonding sport. I feel like I am a lot closer with my kids since we started boarding together. Trust me on this one.

Lastly, and MOST IMPORTANT start this rule right now while they are young.

NO HELMET, NO PADS, NO SKATEBOARDING!!

EVERYONE falls and at some point everyone hits their head and it can be very serious if a helmet doesn’t take the majority of the blow. Whether they are on a $15 skateboard from Wal-Mart or a $175+ custom board do not let them ride until they have on their gear. My eleven year old knows the rules and he’s take a number of falls where when he got up said, “I’m really glad I had on my pads/helmet.”

No comments: