Sunday, July 09, 2006

thinking aloud

What is it about loving and emotions in general that don’t go away as easily as saying “I don’t feel this way anymore?” Life would be much easier if it worked that way, but emotions are such sticky illogical things. It’s not about controlling the actions that the emotions might evoke. We can avoid someone, but that doesn’t mean loving them has gone away. I think even when we’ve moved on for whatever reason the emotion is fully capable of being there. It’s emotion void of action. I don’t think it requires action, because if we did then when someone we love dies we wouldn’t feel love for them anymore. Anyone who has had someone they truly love dies knows that this isn’t the case at all.
Maybe I’m rambling about something we’ve all analyzed. If that is the case then why are we conditioned to feel hurt when someone we love still has feelings for someone else? If we had looked at emotions logically wouldn’t we rationally say, “It’s normal that they still feel something” rather than have our own feelings hurt? Or why are we so surprised when we have feelings of love, hate or whatever for someone we haven’t been around in ages? I am not sure that we do analyze it carefully. We are socialized to think that emotions go away if we ignore them. I need to think more about why. What is the purpose of this idea that emotions just go away? Do they just go away for some people?

I can’t stop thinking. That’s as absurd as saying for me to stop having emotions.

No comments: