Friday, July 28, 2006

Soul Food & Sunshine Enemas

The house is being warmed by the comforting scent of “soul” food. Not the Southern traditional food that I completely love, but rather vegetable latkes and some fried zucchini and yellow squash. Food that is good for my soul and healing for a wounded ego. I guess it’s my ego that it wounded. Perhaps a better description is my work ethic that has been wounded. So, anyway, I’m making comfort food because I got my 6 month review at work today.

The good news is that my boss recognizes that I go above and beyond for the job and said that I do a great job at all the various roles I have at work. I am a trusted employee that makes the work place a better place to be and that my coworkers like me. That made me feel like despite a few bumps along a very hard path in developing the payroll and H.R. department my hard work was not in vain. The position has basically grown from me being a glorified receptionist to HR manager. The bad news is that I haven’t really brown-nosed enough to get a raise. Even when I do get a raise it won’t be as significant as other people where I work because my job is more secure than theirs (because no one else in the company knows how to do my job) so they get paid “hazard” pay for being in a more precarious position. Mind you he wouldn’t have a second thought of firing anyone if he thought they weren’t performing including yours truly. I was foolish enough to think that if I busted my ass day in and out, holidays, weekend and even on vacation I would get a raise. I was foolish enough to think that if I excelled at my job it would be enough. Well, it wasn’t so pull out the sunshine enemas! I’m going to bullet proof myself and bide my time with a smile. Then watch the bastards fall.

The house smells even better than when I started writing this. I might even treat myself to a beer! Comfort food rocks.

No comments: