I know I touched on this subject before, BUT...
Really it needs re-addressing. I love my kids. Most of my life is spent making sure that they have the things they need, that they learn things that are (in my opinion) important, and trying to make sure that I create an environment for them that is healthy. This isn't about how much I love them. It's about stopping with the stupid $@%$^ fund-raisers already!!!! WTF? Right now we have the following going:
~ Entertainment books
~ Sally Foster gift wrap and other miscellaneous crap
~ begging my friends/family/business associates to donate items of worth to be auctioned off at a silent auction
~ selling tickets for said silent auction
~ a school carnival (lowest "ticket package" is $10 PER child!!)
Then to top it off I'm being constantly bombarded with requests to volunteer. I have to say no to a lot of the things because they are during working hours and I can't always take time off. So, when I was presented with the opportunity to volunteer at the Carnival I filled out the form and sent it in. I heard nothing back. And nothing back. And still nothing back. Tonight at 9:00 p.m. I got a call asking me to work a booth for TWO HOURS for THIS, yes THIS, Saturday! Hello! After not hearing for a good 10 days I figured they didn't need me. wtf? Do the people who are making the decisions about timing these types of things communicate or are they modeling their communication on that of the feds? Who are these people that don't have lives and can fulfill all the fund-raising obligations that they are burdened with? They obviously don't sleep because after I work all day, cook dinner, clean up a bit, make sure the kids have all their homework completed and make it to bed by 9, and then often work a little more I'm DONE. I don't have more time, energy or inclination to work a second job. And asking people to buy crap they don't particularly want is work, and work that I'm not particularly fond of or good at doing.
We currently have FIVE fund-raisers for the school going on at once. This doesn't count the bike-a-thon they are doing just before the carnival. Why so many at once? Are they cramming it all in so we won't have more later? Yeah, don't kid yourselves, my friends. I'm sure I'll have more going on even over Christmas break.
Now let me ask you, if you knew this is what being a parent of an elementary school aged child was about wouldn't you just want to pull out your checkbook, pass along a bit check to the school and be done with all of it? FUCK! Don't even get me started on WHY all this fund-raising is even necessary (Thanks feds for spending billions elsewhere.)
(By the way, all of those that have helped by buying an entertainment book, gift wrap or other paraphenalia from S.F., donated some cool item to be auctioned, plan on going to the auction, or have helped in any way to my children's school getting $$ for things that the gov't should be providing THANK YOU 1000 times over!! I do appreciate it.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment