Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Cake or death

Actually, I'll take pie. I don't know why exactly, but cake just doesn't do much for me. The same with ice cream. There are exceptions, but for the most part I'd rather have pie for dessert than these other things. Just to clarify I'm counting tarts in this catergory since they have a crust that is filled with yummy stuff. Yummm...pie. Even so, I'm fairly particular on the types of pie and how they are made. I love fruit pie, but not when it's so syrupy sweet that you can't taste the fruit. After all it's fruit pie, not sugar pie with fruit. My grandmother used to make the most incredible apple pie. She'd always add just enough sugar so the apples were sweet, but you knew it was apple. Boy, that woman could make a great pie. Custard type pies get a much lower ranking for me than fruit pies. There is something about the consistancy that just doesn't thrill me. However, every now and then I get a craving for Key Lime. It's sort of custardy. Pumpkin pie isn't very high up there either. Which is curious since I really like Sweet Potato Pie (there is one in the oven right now) a lot and they are very similar. I think it's just the whole flashback to eating nearly an entire pumpkin pie one year at my great-grandmother's. Mincemeat is alright. Pecan pie is just too sweet for me. I can see why people really like it, but my tasteybuds just can't do super sweet. Still pecans are super yummy. I wonder if I can make a less sweet version.
Actually, when I lived in Atlanta I'd tease that I could forgive just about anything if I was presented with a fruit tart from Alon's (yes, this IS the most awesome bakery I've ever had the fortune to frequent.) These tarts are phenomenal. Not too sweet, not too much custard in the bottom, nice crispy light crust. Jeezy creezy, I'm having a craving now for one of those like you wouldn't believe. But then I've been missing Atlanta a lot today (after finding out how much spices in the grocery stores cost compared to the Dekalb County Farmer's Market)
Alright, so I like pie. I'm good at making pie. It's yummy.

(still feeling a little silly about blogging)

No comments: